PERFORMANCE VINYL WALLPAPER
Ensure surfaces are smooth, clean and dry prior to installation. If needed, lightly sand walls and make any necessary repairs to cracks, holes or imperfections. Seal the wall with a clear primer-sealer following manufacturer instruction — we like KILZ All Purpose Primer, or similar. Priming seals the wall, promotes wallpaper adhesion and allows for easy removal. After priming, wait the recommended time before beginning wallpaper installation.
It helps to have two people when installing wallpaper. Install one panel at a time. Consult with a professional paperhanger, if needed. Handle panels with care. Do not use tape on image surfaces, and avoid creasing or sharp folds, as this can damage the print. Install so that the panel overlaps the ceiling and the baseboard by approximately 2” each. You will trim this excess off later. Our panels are pre-matched and pre-trimmed at the seams to reduce the need for additional measuring, matching or cutting.
Pasting & Booking
1. Apply wallpaper paste evenly to the back of the panel using a foam paint roller or pasting machine, making sure to coat the entire back and edges. Use a high quality clear adhesive for your wallpaper application and follow manufacturer instructions — we like Roman Pro-880 or Roman Eco-888.
2. Book the panel by folding each end toward the center, pasted sides together. Ensure that the edges are lined up to avoid the paste from drying out. Avoiding creasing the panel. Book the wallpaper for 10-15 minutes. Expect booking time to expand wallpaper panels up to 1/4" depending on room temperature and paste thickness. Adhesive side of the panel should be completely stuck to itself. Avoid getting paste on the front of your wallpaper print and wipe any excess or drip immediately.
Panel Installation1. Hang the first panel (Panel 1) in the least noticeable corner of the space. Mark a line 8-12” over from the corner — this will be your starting line for the first panel. Use a level to ensure a straight line. Avoid placing the wallpaper panel right at the corner as it will be difficult to butt the seams later.
2. Unfold the top section of the panel and place it on the wall starting at the ceiling with a 2” overlap. Level the first panel to ensure a straight line. The paste will allow some wet time to adjust the panel. Use a wallpaper smoother to lay down panels and smooth out air bubbles, using horizontal motions only.
- Tip: Avoid smoothing out up the panel or down or overwork the panels as this could scratch or stretch the wallpaper.
3. Match pattern and butt second panel (Panel 2) to the edge of the first panel and smooth out firmly as instructed above. Ensure panels have a tight fit (no gaps or overlap between seams) and are free from air bubbles.
- Tip: With all designs, it is important to line up the pattern at eye level, allowing any drift in lineup to run off towards ceiling and floor. The standard allowance is 1/4" up or down. If the pattern is lined up at the ceiling, the pattern will misalign sooner and the gap will be larger. Most patterns will be viewed at eye level, therefore this area that needs to look aligned.
4. Repeat pasting, booking, and hanging the remainder of panels as instructed above until you have finished your desired area.
- Tip: You will install one of the following configurations based on the design you select: Panel 1-2-1-2… or Panel 1-2-3-1-2-3… or Panel 1-2-3-4-1-2-3-4
5. When finished hanging your panels, use a fresh, straight-edge blade to trim the top and bottom of each panel to remove excess wallpaper.
6. Wipe down the wallpaper and any adhesive residue with clean water and a sponge. Dry with a towel, avoiding any aggressive rubbing.
7. Allow one week for the adhesive to fully cure.
Cleaning & Maintenance
To maintain your wallpaper, simply spot clean with a lightly dampened cloth or sponge with warm water. Do not use cleaners with harsh solvents as it can cause damage to your wallpaper. Use water sparingly and do not get the wallpaper overly wet. Clean with light vertical motions and avoid any aggressive rubbing. Pat with a clean soft cloth or bath towel to remove any surface moisture.
Handle wallpaper with care and inspect all panels upon receiving your wallpaper checking for any damage that may have occurred during shipping. Open the roll and lay out each of your panels to confirm accuracy. Do not fold or crease the panels during installation as this will damage the material. Any problems that occur during the wallpaper preparation or installation process are not the responsibility of Greenly Living.